We are a boutique environmental consultancy, entrepreneurial in its essence. Recognized as leaders in our industry, we partner with clients to make a difference across the globe. Hemmera recognizes that every individual’s contribution is essential to The Hemmera Way. Diversity is integral to who we are, and how we work together. At Hemmera we support and promote a welcoming, inclusive workplace in which our individual differences are valued.
||Vancouver, Burnaby, Victoria, and Calgar
||Business Leader, Environmental Assessment
||One of Hemmera's values is sustainability and this links into the importance we place on communities. This role will actively link our professional services with the communities in which we work and strive to "create great places".
Hemmera seeks a Business Leader, Environmental Assessment to provide leadership that promotes profitability, growth, and development, ensuring that Hemmera is positioned as a recognized leader within its target market. The Business Leader, Environmental Assessment will guide the successful achievement of the objectives set out in Hemmera’s Strategic Plan, in collaboration with the other members of the senior management team. The successful candidates will direct and perform highly complex or specialized aspects of the work while managing the projects involving multiple service areas and subcontractors as well as client and / or schedule challenges.
- Develops / facilitates a vision for the Business Line in alignment with the corporate vision as well as an annual operating plan and budget.
- Defines business objectives and monitors service area performance to ensure that it is meeting planned targets and objectives, identifying and resolving issues preventing achievement of strategy, and managing the financial results of the service area including profit contribution, utilization, etc.
- Ensures that effective operational, project and proposal control and risk management practices are implemented in the service area – consistent with Hemmera’s policies and approaches.
- Fosters the development of the Hemmera culture within the Line of Business, ensuring practices are aligned and engaged.
- Directs and pursues the application of technology for the service area, knowledge management within the area, and continuous improvement of practices to ensure market leadership.
- Ensures effective communication, and sharing of information, knowledge, and expertise between locations and specialties, facilitating the exchange of best practices.
- Maintains industry / professional knowledge and actively participates in the ongoing upgrading of professional and leadership skills.
- Strives to evolve the service area into a Business Line with a group of services and disciplines.
Marketing / Business Development
- Develops and maintains a strong knowledge of the service area, including the competitive forces within that service area, as a base for planning growth and development; ensures the development and execution of a service area Marketing Plan in collaboration with others as appropriate (e.g., within the Line of Business and via operations).
- Promotes Line of Business growth through appropriate investments in the enhancement of existing capabilities, the identification of opportunities to establish specialized skills in new locations, and the identification / communication of merger, acquisition, and alliance opportunities within the Line of Business.
- Maintains a high personal profile in the external marketplace for the Line of Business and participates directly in the marketing of significant opportunities.
- Leads the development of key Service Area proposals to maximize win rate and secure business that supports growth plans.
- Sources and secures revenue opportunities in existing markets as well as potential markets.
People & Talent
- Promotes and maintains a culture of teamwork and cooperation within the Line of Business and between other areas of the organization.
- Directs the recruitment, selection, hiring, deployment, development, retention and termination of employment for all people in the Line of Business.
- Fosters the development of people to ensure they have the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform their roles, including formalized training, on the job training, coaching, and stretch assignments.
- Undertakes workforce planning and builds the talent pool in own area to meet current and future needs, identifying successors and executing processes and programs to ensure development.
- Manages performance of talent within Line of Business, addressing performance issues and working to resolve performance gaps as well as resourcing needs for the Line of Business.
Client Relationship Management
- Takes a lead role in the development of new client relationships and participates in relationship management activities with existing clients.
- Monitors client satisfaction and works to resolve client concerns or project issues.
- Identifies and pursues opportunities to strengthen client relationships including organizing client events for the Line of Business.
Environmental Assessment Project Leadership & Delivery
- Strategic EA advice during project planning
- Provide strategic regulatory advice to proponents during all stages of the project life cycle including planning and feasibility studies. Management of technical specialists
- Provide oversight and leadership to the management of technical specialists undertaking work in support of obtaining environmental permits and approvals. Development of project workplans, budget and schedules
- Provide senior direction to the development of workplans, budgets and schedules in support of environmental permitting and approval processes. Technical review of EA deliverables to ensure
- Provide senior quality review of documents developed in support of environmental permitting and approval processes. Management of project budgets, schedule
- Oversee the delivery of workplans and budgets in support of obtaining regulatory approvals including: monitoring of variance; developing change of scope documents; forecasting budgets; and reporting schedule and budget status to clients.
- Provide senior regulatory advice, on environmental permitting and approvals processes, to project teams and clients.
- Working with clients, lead communications and liaison with environmental regulatory agencies Coordination of communication between proponent, EA team and regulatory agencies
- Provide oversight of communication processes between proponents, environmental teams and regulatory agencies.
- Coordination of EA requirements with First Nations consultation and community engagement programs
- Provide oversight to the project teams to ensure that First Nations consultation and community engagement programs are coordinated and compliant with environmental permitting and approval processes.